In this case of business between Japan and Italy, we face a situation in which a Japanese company intends to send its own employee to a complete independent Italian company which is his exclusive distributor for Italian and European markets.
What kind of visa and residence permits can be activate and under what conditions? Not
always, in fact, it is necessary to open a company to work in Italy but there are other ways, such as the one we have dealt with the last time which was referred to opening a representative office in Milan.
Can the Japanese company get a visa and residence permit for its employee?
Of course yes. In order to enter Italy there are special visa cases including the one provided by “Article 27 quarter” of the Italian Immigration Law, for highly skilled Japanese workers.This visa is also called “Blue Card”.
This type of visa is given to the Japanese worker who has the following requirements:
– The Japanese worker must be highly qualified in terms of education;
– the Japanese worker must agree to carry out his work as an employee of the Italian company
What are the requirements of this visa in detail?
The Japanese worker must be in possession of a higher education qualification, of the duration of at least 3 years, issued by the Japanese competent authority (Japanese Ministry of Education).
The Italian Ministry of Internal Affair has accurately indicated which workers are within the “highly qualified” category, and it is therefore possible to check if your position is listed by the Italian Ministry.
What are the features of this visa?
This type of visa is among those outside the quota. This means that obtaining the visa does not depend on the annual quota set by the Italian Government for the entry of foreign workers into Italy.
It has a faster administrative procedure than the generic visa for subordinate work. It will be necessary to prepare the right documents to get the “nulla osta” from the Italian Immigration Office, which is the first step to obtain the visa and subsequently the residence permit.
Can the Japanese worker’s family come to Italy?
Yes. The worker will be able to apply for a visa for family reunion. It will be important to choose a suitable apartment to accommodate all the members of the family already in the process of the vista for the worker in order to not waste time to find another flat after.
Once the Japanese worker enter Italy, what are the fulfilment that has to be done?
Within 48 hours of entering Italy the Japanese worker must go to the Questura together with the house owner for the “hospitality statement”.
Subsequently, the employee will be called by the Immigration Office to sign the immigration agreement and the application for a residence permit. Then he will have to go to a post office to send the application for a residence permit to the Questura and receive at the same time the appointment at the Questura for the issuance of the residence permit.
In the following days you will have to do your residence registry and sign up for the National Health Service, make the Italian ID card, and if you need to convert the driving license and open a counter-current in an Italian bank.

Bagala & Partners provides comprehensive assistance for all the stages of visa obtaining, residence permit, and the other official applications necessary for staring life in Italy.
* * *
About Bagalà and partners: a team of Associated lawyers, based in Milan and Tokyo (at the Italian Chamber of Commerce in Japan – ICCJ) Which established a Japan Desk in order to support Japanese companies investing in Italy. Ms. Masako Nakagawa, originally from Tokyo but has lived in Milan for 10 years, is the head of the Desk. This means that the office can perform their advisory services directly in Japanese language.
For further requests of clarification please contact Ms. Masako Nakagawa:
mako@bagalaandpartners.com / tel: +39 0289052396